Monday, November 06, 2006

Lacevember

Over at Lacevember theres a questionaire ot anser on your blog and if you do , you could win a prize so here's mine

The knitting questions, or the usual suspects
How long have you been knitting? Properly and regularly for about 11 months, I got a 'knit your own scarf kit' for xmas last year
How did you learn to knit? Originally my Mum taught me when I was 9 and I was awful, she has alot pf patience but even she gave up. She now admits that she realised I just wasn't meant to knit but now she comes to me for knitting advice. Bizarre!
Favorite thing about knitting? I have to take regular schedules rests because of my chronic fatigue syndrome (during which I'm ot suppose to sleep) so knitting relaxes me during these, plus I love that its a hobby that is creative and productive. You actually have something of use at the end.
How long have you been knitting lace? Not long, I've only a pair of lace socks and a lace scarf (feather and fan) and am currently working on my first shawl. As yet I haven't used any laceweight yarn but I do have some for a future project.
Favorite thing about knitting lace? Being a student I use my brain alot studying and although 'mindless' knitting is fun sometimes I need to use my brain and lace knitting allows me to do that. Plus it looks so beautiful when finished, something to be REALLY proud of.
The yarn questions, or flash your stash
Favorite lace yarn? I have some Soup Dragon Lace weight 50% cashmere 50% silk from Get Knitted in my stash and can't wait to use it.
variegated or solids for shawls? either, although only subtle variations for shawls.
Favorite lace color? Pale varigated, although I'm loving the LL's blackwatch colourway I'm using to make a shawl for my mu.
Technique, or show us your skillz
Circs or straights? Circs and bambo circs at that.
Favorite lace knitting trick? More of an aid but I can't use charts so I write each row down on seperate index card, punch a hole in the top and tie them loosely together with thread then use that as I flip book so I can keep my place. Not really MY trick as it was mentioned in the intro to the Forest Canopy Shawl. Great idea though.
Lifelines? If so with what? Oh yes lifelines, I use crochet cotton as its thin and smooth, visible and cheap.
Fancy blocking wires, or just sewing pins stuck in your carpet? Ideally blocking wires but as they are not readily available in the UK (in fact I only know of one supplier over here) I have to make do with pins everywhere.
Pattern, or can you follow directions
shawls or lacey items? Either, variety is the spice of life as they say.
triangle, rectangle, or circular shawls? I have only (part) knit a triangluar shawl and really love the traingel shape. I may knit a different shape in futue but it would be a gift as I much prefer triangles.
Charts or printed instructions? Printed instructions (see lace trick above)
Favorite lace you've knit? I'm really loving my first shawl at the moment
Favorite lace you want to knit? My next two projects will be Shetland Triangle from WrapStyle and Swallowtail Shawl from IK Fall 06.
Just Fun, yup that's right, just for fun
Favorite jelly belly flavor? The red cinnamon one that no-one likes but eats coz they think its cherry
Tell me everything you know about Eric the Red..... Who? the Eric I can think of with a relationship to red is the ex-Man Utd footballer Eric Catona (pls leave comments to enlighten me)
Coke, classic or with lime? Neither, Diet Coke (with vanilla)
Holiday carols, sing along, or wish they would be banned from all public airwaves? Banned until Decemebr 1st then bring 'em on!
What is the definition of irony? Not that used in the Alanis Morrisette song!
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? Whats a tootsie roll!
Why is my cat always puking in front of my son's bedroom door? Because your son feed's the cat treats/sweets/godknowswhat when no-ones looking
What is your superhero power? Knowing things about your house and cat. lol
If the laundry is 9 foot by 11 foot (just dreaming, that's a big laundry room), and the walls are 8 feet tall, and you are going to tile the entire room in tiles that are 3 inches by 5 inches, what color should those tiles be? white
What's for dinner tonight? Liver and bacon casserole with mashed pototoes and stemed veg.
What is clogging my children's bathtub drain? Hair, its what clogs mine

btw I received my prize yarn today. I am scouring all the sock patterns i have to find the perfect pattern for this yarn, I also recieved the pink ribbon yarn which is being used to make my mum some pink ribbon socks.

I heard from KMKS pal today. They seem really nice so it looks like another great swap happening.

3 comments:

Piglottie said...

OK Bagpuss, so now I'm freaked! Too many similarities in your answers (although I've only answered in my head as I've been reading yours) - Forest Canopy is my first shawl and I want to make Swallowtail next (did you know there's a KAL); taught when I was young started knitting again 14 months ago; knitting helps me with my anxiety problems as it helps me relax; bamboo circs rule; printed instructions every time; red cinnamon jelly babies rule too; agree with you about Eric Cantona; and liver and bacon casserole is just delicious! Shall have to join Lacevember now...

Anonymous said...

ooohhh, lace knitting. It sounds wonderful but I just can't seem to devote that kind of time to any one project right now. I have admired many of the patterns you mention here and I look forward to seeing your beautiful works-in-progress.

Maybe when I'm old and all my time is free.

Rosie said...

Eric the Red sounds like someone who wrote viking sagas to me! But I'm a real admirer of Cantona, he sounds much better. and I *hate* charts.