Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
My summer knitting goals:
- To finish my Hogwarts Sock Swap Sock - about 1/3 finished (Horcrux Sock)
- To start and finish my Sockapalooooza 4 pals sock - i have yarn and vague idea of pattern
- Complete (second) scarf for my ISE 4 pal (Fairy Godmother's Scarf)
- Knit Ms Marigold
- I know it won't get finished but to work on my mitred square afgan at least two hours a week.
- Knit Spring Things Shawl (with beads not nupps)
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Edit the list, bold for stuff you've done, italics for stuff you plan to do one day, and normal for stuff you're not planning on doing.
Knitting with metal wire
Knitting with camel yarn
Knitting with silk
Moebius band knitting
Participating in a KAL
Drop stitch patterns
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
Slip stitch patterns
Knitting with banana fiber yarn
Domino knitting (modular knitting)
Twisted stitch patterns
Knitting with bamboo yarn
Two end knitting
Knitting with soy yarn
Knitting with circular needles
Knitting with your own handspun yarn
Graffiti knitting (knitting items on, or to be left on the street)
Designing knitted garments
Cable stitch patterns (incl. Aran)
Publishing a knitting book
Teaching a child to knit
American/English knitting (as opposed to continental)
Knitting to make money
Knitting with alpaca
Fair Isle knitting
Dying with plant colors
Knitting items for a wedding
Household items (dishcloths, washcloths, tea cozies…)
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on two circulars
Knitting with someone else’s handspun yarn
Knitting with DPNs
Holiday related knitting
Teaching a male how to knit
Knitting for a living
Knitting with cotton
Knitting with wool
Knitting with beads
Long Tail CO
Knitting and purling backwards
Knitting with self-patterning/self-striping/variegating yarn
Knitting with cashmere
Knitting with synthetic yarn
Writing a pattern
Knitting with linen
Knitting for preemies
Cuffs/fingerless mitts/arm warmers
Knitting a pattern from an online knitting magazine
Knitting on a loom
Knitting a gift
Knitting for pets
Knitting with dog/cat hair
Knitting in public
Sunday, May 06, 2007
Thanks for all your advice on the buttons I have decided to go for the second choice as I can buy them 'in person' as opposed online so can take the cardigan with me and choose the best colour as I know think the purple will suit better then pink or lilac.
Saturday, April 21, 2007
Yarns: Lorna's Laces - Camoflauge and Natural
Opal Uni - Brown
Needles: Clover Takumi Bamboo 2.5mm
Modifications: I knit more rounds after the heel before beginning the stranded work to make the leg longer.
After being inspired by the knitty.com article on dyeing yarn with food colouring I found a supplier of Wilton food colouring in the UK and had a go. These were my first attempts, I really can't remeber what colours I used and didn't write it down. I used the cold pour method in my slow cooker and am pleased with the results. Each yarn cake is about 100g of DK 100% wool. I am going to be ordering some sock weight soon and will probably have a go at handpainting and dip-dyeing too.
My Bulky Cabled Cardigan is almost finised I just need to find some buttons, but can't decide between these or these in either pink or lilac. All opinions welcome!
(The true colour of the yarn can be seen here (it is Sea Thistle) as the flash has really washed the colour out.)
Monday, April 09, 2007
Saturday, April 07, 2007
1. Put your music player on shuffle
2. Press forward for each question.
3. Use the song title as the answer to the question even if it doesn't make sense.
HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY?
In the End (live) - Linkin Park
WHAT'S YOUR OUTLOOK ON LIFE?
In the City - The Jam
WHAT DOES YOUR FAMILY THINK OF YOU?
We Still Kill The Old Way - Lost Prophets
WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK OF YOU?
I Defy - Machinehead
WHAT DO STRANGERS THINK OF YOU?
Unsaid Things - McFly
WHAT DO YOUR EXS THINK OF YOU?
Desire to Fire - Machinehead
HOW IS YOUR LOVE LIFE?
A Legal Matter - The Who
HOW WILL YOUR LOVE LIFE BE IN THE FUTURE?
Wonderful World - James Morrison
WILL YOU GET MARRIED?
Hold On - Good Charlotte
WILL YOU HAVE KIDS?
Remember Me - The Zutons
ARE YOU GOOD AT SCHOOL?
Be Natural - Manic Street Preachers
WILL YOU BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE?
Sorry's Not Good Enough - McFly
WHAT SONG SHOULD THEY PLAY ON YOUR BIRTHDAY?
That Girl - McFly
WHAT SONG SHOULD THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?
Sad But True - Metallica
THE SOUNDTRACK OF YOUR LIFE:
Low - Foo Fighers
YOU AND YOUR BEST FRIEND ARE:
About A Girl - Nirvana
Alive - Pearl Jam
Place For My Head - Linkin Park
Go Let It Out - Oasis
Last Summer - Lost Prophets
Further Away - Manic Street Preachers
WHAT DOES NEXT YEAR HAVE IN STORE FOR ME?
The Modern World - The Jam
WHAT DO I SAY WHEN LIFE GETS TOO HARD?
Cure The Itch - Linkin Park
WHAT SONG WILL I DANCE TO AT MY WEDDING?
You're Tender and You're Tired - Manic Street Preachers
WHAT DO YOU WANT AS A CAREER?
A Thousand Apologies - Lost Prophets
YOUR FAVOURITE SAYING?
Pressure Point - The Zutons
HOW WILL I DIE?
End Over End - Foo Fighters
THE SONG THAT YOU'LL PUT AS YOUR SUBJECT?
Substitute - The Who
Friday, April 06, 2007
1. What Hogwarts house have you been sorted into? Hufflepuff
2. Shoe size? UK 5/US 5.5
3. Foot Length? 9.5inches 24cm
4. Foot Circumference? 9inches 22.5cm
5. List your three favorite double-point needle brands, including size and length.
a. Brittany Birch 2.5mm (US size 1.5) 5inch length
b. Brittany Birch 2.25mm (US size 1) 5inch length
c. Clover Bamboo 2.5mm (US size 2.5) 16cm length
6. Would you like to try a new brand needle? If so, which brand? Size? Length?
a. Brittany Birch 2mm (US size 0) 5 inch length
b. Blue Sky Alpaca DPNs 2mm - 2.5mm 5inch length
c. Lantern Moon Sox Stix 2mm - 2.5mm
7. If you are a RAVENCLAW, do you prefer the colors in the film or the book? Do you have a strong preference?
8. Are you willing to have an international Hogwarts Sock Pal? Most definitely
(to my pal: I have quite large ankles the circumfrence is 10inches whilst the circumfrence of my upper ankle is 12.5inches. I have bad ciculation in my legs so would prefer a stretchy rib type sock.)
Sunday, March 25, 2007
What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Scratchy acyrilic, mohair & angora coz i'm allergic
How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? I've been knitting about 18months. I was origianlly taught 20 years ago by my mum and was useless but began again Xmas 2005
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Intermediate
What's your favorite scent? Citrus, neroli, ylang ylang, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla and lavender
Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes but i'm on a diet so am trying to pretend it doesn't exist
Favorite candy? Candy? whats that? I do however love Millstones coffee which is calorie free and impossible to get here in UK!
What other crafts do you like to do? Don't really have time for much else except knitting and studying
Do you spin? No, but really want to learn
What's your favorite color(s)? Pinks purple greens and browns
What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Whatever takes my fancy at the time. I'm really into socks and sweaters at the moment
What are you knitting right now? Simple Knitted Bodice in Rowan Summer Tweed and various socks for bday presents
Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes
Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circs for sweaters etc and dpns for socks
Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes to ball winder, no to swift
How old is your oldest UFO? About 5 months, its a lace shawl
Is there anything that you collect? No
Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? I have an extensive Amazon wishlist, and really fancy getting some Duets socks yarn aswell as some Socks That Rock.
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None, but I do regularly buy IK
When is your birthday? Novemeber 1st
Finally, what are your four themes?
1. Breakfast At Tiffanys
Friday, March 09, 2007
(x) Rocky Horror Picture Show
(x) Pirates of the Caribbean
( ) Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest
( ) Boondock Saints
(x) Fight Club
(x) Starsky and Hutch
(x) Neverending Story
(x) Blazing Saddles
( ) The Princess Bride
(x) Napoleon Dynamite
(x) Saw II
(x) White Noise
( ) White Oleander
(x) Anger Management
(x) 50 First Dates
(x) The Princess Diaries
() The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
Total so far: 16
(x) Scream 2
(x) Scream 3
(x) Scary Movie
(x) Scary Movie 2
(x) Scary Movie 3
( ) Scary Movie 4
(x) American Pie
(x) American Pie 2
(x) American Wedding
( ) American Pie Band Camp
Total so far: 25
(x) Harry Potter 1
(x) Harry Potter 2
(x) Harry Potter 3
(x) Harry Potter 4
(x) Resident Evil 1
(x) Resident Evil 2
(x) The Wedding Singer
( ) Little Black Book
(x) The Village
() Lilo & Stitch
Total so far: 33
(x) Finding Nemo
(x) Finding Neverland
( ) The Grinch
(x) Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(x) Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
( ) White Chicks
(x) Butterfly Effect
() 13 Going on 30
(x) I, Robot
Total so far: 41
(x) Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
( ) Universal Soldier
(x) Lemony Snicket: A Series Of Unfortunate Events
(x) Along Came Polly
(x) Deep Impact
(x) Never Been Kissed
(x) Meet The Parents
(x) Meet the Fockers
( ) Eight Crazy Nights
( ) Joe Dirt
( ) KING KONG
Total so far: 48
( ) A Cinderella Story
(x) The Terminal
( ) The Lizzie McGuire Movie
( ) Passport to Paris
(x) Dumb & Dumber
(x) Dumber & Dumberer
(x) Final Destination
(x) Final Destination 2
(x) Final Destination 3
(x) The Ring
(x) The Ring 2
( ) Surviving X-MAS
( ) Flubber
Total so far: 57
( ) Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle
(x) Practical Magic
(x) Ghost Ship
( ) From Hell
(x) I Am Sam
(x) The Whole Nine Yards
( ) The Whole Ten Yards
Total so far: 62
(x) The Day After Tomorrow
(x) Child's Play
(x) Seed of Chucky
(x) Bride of Chucky
(x) Ten Things I Hate About You
(x) Just Married
( ) Gothika
(x) Nightmare on Elm Street
( ) Sixteen Candles
( ) Remember the Titans
( ) Coach Carter
(x) The Grudge
( ) The Grudge 2
(x) The Mask
( ) Son Of The Mask
Total so far: 71
(x) Bad Boys
(x) Bad Boys 2
( ) Joy Ride
(x) Lucky Number Sleven
(x) Ocean's Eleven
(x) Ocean's Twelve
(x) Bourne Identity
(x) Bourne Supremecy
( ) Lone Star
( ) Bedazzled
( ) Predator I
( ) Predator II
(x) The Fog
(x) Ice Age
( ) Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
( ) Curious George
Total so far: 80
(x) Independence Day
( ) Cujo
( ) A Bronx Tale
( ) Darkness Falls
( ) Children of the Corn
( ) My Bosses Daughter
( ) Maid in Manhattan
(x) War of the Worlds
( ) Rush Hour
( ) Rush Hour 2
Total so far: 85
( ) Best Bet
(x) How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
() She's All That
(x) Calendar Girls
(x) Mars Attacks
(x) Event Horizon
( ) Ever After
(x) Wizard of Oz
(x) Forrest Gump
() Big Trouble in Little China
(x) The Terminator
(x) The Terminator 2
(x) The Terminator 3
Total so far: 95
( ) X-Men
( ) X-2
( ) X-3
(x) Spider-Man 2
( ) Sky High
( x) Jeepers Creepers
( x) Jeepers Creepers 2
(x) Catch Me If You Can
(x) The Little Mermaid
(x) Freaky Friday
( ) Reign of Fire
( ) The Skulls
(x) Cruel Intentions
() Cruel Intentions 2
( ) The Hot Chick
(x) Shrek 2
Total so far: 105
(x) Miracle on 34th street
() Old School
( ) The Notebook
( ) K-Pax
( ) Krippendorf's Tribe
( ) A Walk to Remember
( ) Ice Castles
( ) Boogeyman
(x) The 40-year-old Virgin
Total so far: 108
(x) Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring
(x) Lord of the Rings The Two Towers
(x) Lord of the Rings Return Of the King
(x) Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
(x) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
(x) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Total so far: 114
( ) Baseketball
( ) Hostel
( ) Waiting for Guffman
( ) House of 1000 Corpses
( ) Devils Rejects
( ) Elf
(x) Mothman Prophecies
(x) American History X
( ) Three
Total so Far: 117
( ) The Jacket
( ) Kung Fu Hustle
( ) Shaolin Soccer
( ) Night Watch
(x) Monsters Inc.
(x) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
( x) Shaun Of the Dead
( ) Willard
Total so far: 121
( ) High Tension
( ) Club Dread
( ) Hulk
(x) Dawn Of the Dead
( ) Hook
( ) Chronicles Of Narnia The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
(x) 28 days later
( ) Orgazmo
( ) Phantasm
Total so far: 123
(x) Kill Bill vol 1
(x) Kill Bill vol 2
( ) Mortal Kombat
(x) Wolf Creek
( ) Kingdom of Heaven
(x) the Hills Have Eyes
( ) I Spit on Your Grave aka the Day of the Woman
( ) The Last House on the Left
( ) Re-Animator
( ) Army of Darkness
Total so far: 127
(x) Star Wars Ep. I The Phantom Menace
(x) Star Wars Ep. II Attack of the Clones
(x) Star Wars Ep. III Revenge of the Sith
(x) Star Wars Ep. IV A New Hope
(x) Star Wars Ep. V The Empire Strikes Back
(x) Star Wars Ep. VI Return of the Jedi
( ) Ewoks Caravan Of Courage
( ) Ewoks The Battle For Endor
Total so far: 133
(x) The Matrix
(x) The Matrix Reloaded
(x) The Matrix Revolutions
(x) Evil Dead
( ) Evil Dead 2
(x) Team America: World Police
(x) Red Dragon
(x) Silence of the Lambs
( ) Hannibal
Total: 141 out 239.
Sunday, March 04, 2007
* Bold the ones you’ve read
* Italicize the ones you want to read
* Leave blank the ones that you aren’t interested in.
If you are reading this (and haven't participated yet), tag, you’re it!
1. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. The Bible
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) - dnf: didn't like it
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According to Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) - one of my all time faves!
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)
Saturday, February 17, 2007
If your life was a movie, what would the soundtrack be?
- Open your mp3 library
- put it on shuffle
- press play
- for every question type the song playing
- when you got o a new questions, press next
- don' lie and pretend your cool
- don't skip songs
- Opening Credits: Room on the 3rd Floor - McFly (Room on the 3rd floor)
- Waking Up: Time is Running Out - Muse (Absolution)
- First Day At School: Chump - Green Day (Dookie)
- Fight Song: Wonderwall - Oasis (Stop the Clocks)
- Breaking Up: Shame For You - Lily Allen (Alright, Still)
- Happiness: Pretty Green - The Jam (Beat Surrender)
- Life's Okay: Stay Together For The Kids - Blink-182 (Take off your Pants)
- Mental Breakdown: The Letter - James Morrison (Undiscovered)
- Driving: Long Live Rock - The Who (The Ultimate Collection)
- Flashback: Transylvania - McFly (Motion In The Ocean)
- Getting Back Together: Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters (The Colour And The Shape)
- Wedding Song: Miracle - Foo Fighters (In Your Honour)
- Birth of First Child: My Little Empire - Manic Street Preachers (This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours)
- Final Battle Scene: The Seeker - The Who (The Ultimate Collection)
- Death Scene: The Anthem - Good Charlotte (The Young & The Hopeless)
- Funeral Song: Unsaid Things - McFly (Room On The 3rd Floor)
- End Credits: Cigarettes & Alcohol - Oasis (Stop The Clocks)
Mrs Bob is still missing, we have done a through search of the cupboard under the stairs but no luck. I will keep you posted. (Piglottie if you go here you will find special hamster sized ladders, for helping them up the vertical tubes of the rotastak cages, we have also used her tubes as a way of getting her into a bin/bucket but she's just too clever)
Thursday, February 15, 2007
- that 'buy it now' item on ebay that' been around a good 2 weeks ( the one you HAVE to have) suddenly gets sold the moment you can afford to buy it! And there is no trace of similar item anywhere on the net.
- the morning after you downloaded the new Lime n Violet podcast, (and boy do you need them on this particular morning to see you through the commute) your ipod decides to stick!
- one of hamsters decides to play Houdini!
We don't how, as all her stoppers where on her cage (although one may not have been locked) but Mrs Bob is on vacation. We believe she headed somewhere in the direction of the cupboard under the stairs country and maybe more specifically folded table le sol. We left food, bedding, water and her cage - she had a drink, took bedding and food (whilst we both out today) but is still refusing to return home.
I have nightmares that she's making bedding from my cashmere/silk laceweight or my alpaca/silk. The fact that she's a Russian Dwarf Hamster, and as good a climber as she is, could probably not climb the stairs unnoticed does nothing for my nerves.Knitting is happening, I have severe SSS on the Chain Link Socks and am awaiting some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Camouflage to make these for Karl for his birthday. I already have some LL in natural and will use Opal Uni in brown for the toes, heels and ribs. I have only the tassels to add to the multi-directional scarf for my Mum's friend and am I am about 1/4 through the Green Bulky Cable cardigan (which I'm knitting in purple/pink/grey Rowan Plaid) and loving the way it is looking. I finished Wicked ages ago (so long ago that I've had to wash it as I love it so much) I will get photos as the weekend - promise!
I frogged the Corazen mittens because at the end of last week I purchased a new coat (one I had been drooling over in Next since before Xmas but couldn't afford, it then appeared in the Next discount store half price - it would have been rude not get it) which is green/brown in colour and I wouldn't have worn the mittens in there pink/brown colourway, it is all good practice however. The mittens will be re-cast on but using green and brown. I did however finish my first ever stranded colourwork item - Ring of Fire Hat. I love the design, the colour, everything, except the fact that my head is too small. It is blocking at the moment so photos at the weekend - I am so proud! I may felt it slightly so it is wearable as I am reluctant to give it away as I see it as a milestone in my knitting progress. I will definitely make another but using smaller needles next time.
Off to get dinner, watch TV and knit!
Saturday, February 03, 2007
So here is my Questionnaire for SP10
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Anthing as long as it is natural. Would love to try some of the more bizzare fibres e.g. seasilk, bamboo (not so bizzare anymore) etc
What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Mohair and angora because I am allergic
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have needle cases for my straights and my dpns(my dpn case is getting full) but my circulars are just in there packets in my bag.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? I orignally "learnt" when I was 9 - I was awful! I re-learnt Xmas 2005 when I received a scarf kit as a present from my Mum.
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I would class myself as an advanced beginner/intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Many of differing sorts but the knitting/craft books are on the main one
5. What's your favorite scent? I love the smell of lavender, vanilla and ylang ylang. I also love the smell of coffee, citrus smells and fresh smells
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes but I am on a diet, I have an addiction to Millstones Coffee and Adagio Teas(which are not available in the UK) so in moderation
Favorite candy? I love nutty chocolate and Jelly Bellys
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I used to make cards/scrap-book no longer have time. I have tried dying and as soon the weather improves in the UK will defintely be having another go.
Do you spin? No, but I keep looking a drop spindles and wondering how hard it is!
8. What kind of music do you like? Everything and anything. There is usually an 'on my ipod' section on the sidebar which changes periodically
Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD). Yes
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Pinks, reds and oranges (the brighter the better), purples and greens (think Lime n Violet) as well as chocolate brown.
Any colors you just can't stand? Not a fan of gold(en)
10. What is your family situation? Live with ex boyfriend (who is now housemate)
Do you have any pets? Hamsters
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves, hats and mittens. Not ponchos as such but like capelets.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks, lace shawls, top-down raglans.
13. What are you knitting right now? Socks, Forest Canopy Shawl, Corazon & Bulky Green Cables
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Most definetely
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Either/both
Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Wood or bamboo
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I was bought a ball winder for Xmas but haven't yet purchased a swift
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Forest Canopy Shawl is about 3 months old.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Don't really have one
19. Is there anything that you collect? No
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? For books see Amazon Wish List.Yarn I would love to try is Malabrigo (as everyone raves about is softness.) I have also been looking at the South West Trading Yarn especially the Tofutsie sock yarn and the Vickie Howell Yarn.Hand Maiden Seasilk. Being from the UK if I have a pal from US some Knitpicks would be cool as it is impossible to get over here.
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None - but I buy Interweave Knits
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I am currently getting to grips with stranded colorwork and conquered cables last year. I plan to advance my lace skills this summer.
22. Are you a sock knitter? Yes, yes and yes!!!
What are your foot measurements? I am a UK5. I have slightly wide feet so tend to make socks for myself with a bit stretch.
23. When is your birthday? 1st Novemember
To my Pal - anything else you need to know just e-mail me!
Friday, February 02, 2007
WHAT: A Bloggers' (Silent) Poetry Reading
WHEN: Anytime February 2, 2007
WHERE: Your blog
WHY: To celebrate the Feast of Bridgid, aka Groundhog Day
HOW: Select a poem you like - by a favorite poet or one of your own - to post February 2nd.
RSVP: If you plan to publish, feel free to leave a comment and link on this post.
I had a hard time trying to decided on just one but I went for tradition over contemporary
He Wishes For The Cloth Of Heaven
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
My main project at the moment - and set become an FO anytime soon is wicked. I just love this and have had such fun knitting it. I choose to omit the pocket and decided on 3/4 length sleeves. I love the fit and the colour and hope to finish the last sleeve tonight.
Of course I have a sock otn, this is the latest from the 6 sox kal. It uses slip stitch technique. I am using Posh Yarns Lucia 4ply (wool/cashmere blend) in Highland Mist with Angel Yarns Sock Yarn in Choco Plum for the contrast.
For Xmas I knitted my Mum a mulit-directional scarf in Twilleys Freedom Spirit and a colleague of hers has asked me to make one for her. I am aiming to get this finished by next weekend when I next see my Mum (hopefully once wicked is finished I can work on this)
I also knitted a Forest Canopy Shawl for my Mum for Xmas and really enjoyed it. After seeing Piglottie's version made from Rowan tweed 4ply I raided my stash and found some Rowanspun 4ply and cast on.
One of my resolution was to learn to do some colourwork. For Xmas I received the yarn and needles to make Corazon. I finally plucked up the courage and cast on. I haven't done much yet but I'm slowly learning
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
The kit included a lovely black and white bag with a fluffly fleece lining, a pattern for some convertible mittens (perfect for me as I travel on public transport and it is annoying having to keep removing gloves/mittens to get tickets/change), 4.25mm bamboo dpns (I didn't already have this size), some supersoft Interlacements Toasty Toes yarn (It is so so soft and in perfect colours for me pinks, reds and purples) and some Eucalan Lavender Wool Wash - which I have wanted to try for a while now but is difficult to find in UK. Also in the parcel was 2 balls of sugar n cream (orange and pale blue), 2 packets of Jelly Bellys, 2 chocolate bars, some pistachio crunch and handmade soap all in an orange hessian bag. How fab. How lucky am I?
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Sign-ups for Sockapalooza 4 should be open at the end of Jan. Keep your eyes posted to Alison's blog I missed this last year so hope to join this year.
I also joined the TBR challenge 2007. The idea being to read 12 books that have been on your 'to be read' list during 2007.
Here is my list:
1. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
2. A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly
3. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
4. The Virgin's Lover by Phillipa Gregory
5. The Abortionist's Daughter by Elisabeth Hyde
6. Small Island by Amanda Levy
7. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
8. Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
9. Starter for Ten by David Nicholls
10. The Little Friend by Donna Tartt
11. The American Boy by Andrew Taylor
12. Morvern Callar by Alan Warner
1. Perfume by Patrick Suskinds
2. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguto
4. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
5. Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs
6. Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs
7. Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs
8. Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs
9. Fatal Voyage by Kathy Reichs
10. Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs
11. Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs
I have been busy joining as I also joined the Lime & Violet Sock Marathon. This is a Flickr group and the idea is to see how far you can knit your sock yarn. I have 5.4miles of sock yarn but that doesn't count my recently purchased Lime & Violet and Violet's Pink Ribbon from Lisa Souza, which I am waiting to be delivered. It will be cool to see how far I get in three months.
On a sock theme I also joined Socktopia, each month three themes are given and you chose one knit a pair pf socks around it.
The Wicked sweater is going really well, I am just starting the waist decreases. I will get a progress shot over the weekend. I should get some done tomorrow as I am meeting up with a uni friend to teach her to knit. Wish me luck!
I was tagged by Stephanie so here goes:
The Page 123 Meme
1. Grab the book closest to you.
2. Open to page 123, look down to the 5th sentence.
3. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog.
4. Include the title and the author's name.
5. Tag 3 People.
"Antiretroviral therapy may be initiated for maternal indications depending on clinical, immunological and virological assessment. Although Zidovudine is the only drug licensed for use in pregnancy, current US guidelines suggest combination therapy should be used."
Clinical Medicine by Kumar & Clark - Ch.1 infectious Disease, Tropical Medicine & STD's/
I use my desk for my studying so all the books around me are science/medical.
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
2 fantastics washcloths, t-pins (requested by me to help with my blocking, almost impossible to find in the uk!), some Millstones coffee (impossible to get hold of in the UK), a cute notebook and pen and some lovely stitchmarkers (already in use)
Next to arrive was a parcel from my SP9, this contained some lavender bathsalts and some Koigu KPPM (something I have wanted for ages) in the most gorgeous pink/purple/mauve colours. The yarn colour is so me and is defintely a colour I would have chosen myself.
And this morning I was awoken by the postie to sign for the parcel from Coffee & Knitting swap on swap-bot. I was well and truly spoiled! The parcel contained a large packet of Caramel Truffle Millstones coffee (i am drinking a cup as I type - divine!), some pretty handmade stitchmarkers, and some Black Raspberry Vanilla hand cleansing gel from Bath and Body Works. I remember when I was about 14 there was a Bath and Body Works store in my (then) local shopping centre and I loved their stuff - then they vanished. The gel is perfect as I use alcohol gel anyway but the stuff I use smells of alcohol but this smells yummy and keeps the scent on your hands. I used some a couple of hours ago and my hands still smell nice. There was also yarn, lots of yarn. The parcel contained 2 balls of Sugar n Cream, 1 skein of Araucania Nature wool in blue and 1 Araucania Nature wool chunky in green and 2 balls of Valley Yarns Longmeadow (a lovely soft cotton/microfibre)in turquoise.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
All is well here I have one more exam left on friday then I am free for 17 whole days, inwhich I plan to knit a sweater (or at least get a fair amount of one done). I have four to choose from they are:
- Forecast - using rowanspun aran-cavier here is one made in this yarn.
- Bulky Green Cables - using rowan plaid-sea thistle
- Wicked! - using rowanspun aran-heath
- V-neck sweater - using rowanspun dk-thorn
I will probably end up chosing one of the aran weights but not sure. A fair amount of yarn was received over xmas, and future projects include:
- Noni Carpet Bag - using Cascade 220 (green and brown tweed)
- Corazen - using Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK (pink and cream)
- Socks - using Sock Hop sock yarn (pink cadillac and beat goes on)
I had better be off as I still have revision to do.