Saturday, December 09, 2006

Stranded

So I joined the Stranded and have been searching for the perfect project, something that I can get to start over the holiday peroid (i.e. something from the UK and not something that has to travel overseas at the busiest time of year). Someone must have heard my desparate pleas as I have found the perfect project in the new Knitty - corazon, pink and white stranded mittens with a heart inspired fair isle pattern. I immediately phoned my mum and she is getting the yarn and needles for my for xmas - gotta love the mum! I am not going to be using the stated yarn for two reasons, one i wanted a really soft yarn and having used this before its not that soft and secondly,I couldn't find the colours, so I am trying a new yarn. It is by Sublime, a reasonably new company whose yarn I've yet to use, and is the Baby Cashhmere Merino Silk DK in Vanilla and Piglot. I have looked at these yarns before but they colours are very muted and subdued which isn't something I've been looking for in previous projects but for this it looks perfect.

After three attempts I have given up on the Swallowtail Shawl for now, until at least I go to my Mums and photocopy and enlarge the charts. However, having seen Piglottie's Forest Canopy Shawl in a Rowan Tweed 4ply (a similar yarn to the Rowanspun 4ply i was going to use for the Swallowtail) I think I will use the Rowanspun to make myself a Forest Canopy Shawl. I have 5 x 25g so will make it slightly larger like Piglottie's.

Hope everyone is having a good run up to the festivities. If I can persuade Karl we may well get the decorations out this weekend!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Gotta love the Mum :-)

I have joined the Stranded Colorwork group, too in hopes that I will get my Nordic Mittens finished.

Looking forward to your progress....

Piglottie said...

Brave you starting stranded work but shall watch your progress with interest. I think any colour called Piglet is a sure fire winner in my book.

Sorry to hear of your problems with Swallowtail, but agree, larger charts should help (although I'm a complete chart numpty and usually write the instructions out! must change that).

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I love reading about mitten yarn you covet. Some special shopping with you in mind was recently completed and now that I've read this post, more will commence.

Are your hands as cold as mine?

warmly,
your KMKS pal